NBYC Junior Sailing Academy.
NBYC’s Junior Sailing Academy offers an all year round coaching and mentoring program to sailors over the age of 7 (as of the 1st Jan) and under 18 who are new to the sport and those competing at a high level. It is delivered by our RYA Sailing School and RYA trained coaches. The club also offers formal and friendly racing throughout the season. All our courses are open to non members… but remember as a member you can come and have a bob around whenever you like!
Parents are able to enjoy the panoramic views of the Wroxham Broad from the comfort of club house, meaning they can see their young sailors whilst they are on the water. The club house offers drinks, food and has its own licensed bar.
Training is based around two junior classes: Optimists and Toppers (5.2 and 4.2).
RYA Certified Sailing Camps: These week long camps run in Easter and during the Summer holidays – called Cadet Week – and sell out fast. They are a 5 day course, on the water at 10.00 finishing at 1600 daily. Run by certified RYA instructors, there are 5 different levels to choose from. The focus is on fun and building confidence on the water.
- Water Rats: For those with no prior sailing experience, this is a fun water confidence course. *This is not an RYA certificated course. Aged 7+.
- RYA Stage 1: Covering a basic understanding of how a boat sails, steering and handling of a dingy. Aged 8+.
- RYA Stage 2: Builds on RYA 1, creating a confident small boat sailor. Aged 8+. Ratio 6:1
- RYA Stage 3: Building on RYA 2, covering sailing in any direction, rigging and launching your boat. Aged 8+.
- RYA Stage 4: Learning how to sail a double handed boat as crew or helm and solve a variety of problems afloat. Aged 9+. Ratio 3:1
- RYA Start Racing: Designed to give sailors the confidence, skills and knowledge to take part in racing in good conditions. For sailors that have completed RYA 3.
- Intermediate and Advanced Racing: taking more than one sailing camp to complete and taking the sailor through the key principles of starting, boat handling, boat speed, strategy and tactics through to developing skills in preparation for open meetings and higher level competitions.
Who can attend?: Members
Age restrictions: Yes, min age 7 for Summer and 8 years for Easter as at 1st Jan. Other age restrictions as per level – see above.
Previous Experience: None for Water Rats or RYA1.
Note: Children aged 12 and under as at 1st Jan must have a loco parentis on site during the course.
The following are for Sailors who are Members: https://www.nbyc.co.uk/membership/
Saturday Morning Sailing: Join us for Junior Saturday Sailing throughout the 2023 season. Progress your sailing skills, learn new things and have fun with your friends! The first session will be on the 1st April 2023. This is for Junior NBYC member sailors who have completed RYA Stage 1 and who are age 8 or above. If the weather is not favourable for on the water training we will, where possible, offer land based tuition or transfer your booking to another date. We look forward to seeing you, be here 10am dressed, rigged and ready to sail!
Who can attend?: Members only. Note: Children aged 12 and under as at 1st Jan must have a loco parentis on site during the session. £7.50 or £12.50 with boat hire.
Fun Wednesdays: Running through the season (late April to Mid October), on the water at 1830, these sessions are part of Club Sailing and the broad is very busy, therefore these sessions are only suitable for confident sailors with knowledge of racing and experience of sailing in the prevailing wind conditions. Note: If you are unsure of your sailors ability speak to your Saturday coach. These sessions are run by volunteers and are free to attend. Parental assistance is appreciated.
Who can attend?: Members Only
How to apply: Just turn up and enjoy